Re: [linux-audio-user] problem with new machine

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 01:02:15 EEST

On Fri, 28 Jul, 2006 at 10:54PM +0100, James Shuttleworth spake thus:
> On Fri, 28 Jul, 2006 at 03:20PM -0400, Dave Phillips spake thus:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > Well, the hardware has been assembled, but I have a show-stopper of a
> > problem. When I try to start the machine I get a flash from the cool
> > blue lights on my Antec case, the CPU fan does a little jig, then
> > nothing. :(
> >
> > So how do I go about diagnosing this thing ? All possible connections
> > have been made between the case, the power supply, and the mobo. I've
> > scoured the manuals for those pieces, I can't see that I've missed
> > connecting anything.
> >
> > Here's the main machine parts:
> >
> > MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard
> > AMD64 CPU
> > Antec Sonata II case with power supply
> > 1 GB RAM in slot 1
> > Seagate Barracuda drive
> > Lite-on DVD/CD RW drive
>
> No video card...?

But seriously...

If you've tried all of the great suggestions from people without joy,
try this:

Take the mobo (and powersupply, if it's easy enough) out of the case
and connect it all up on a copy of the yellow pages (or whatever
colour book the telephone directory is in your part of the world).

It sounds silly, but it has solved problems for me in the past.
Sometimes, something touches the case that shouldn't. If this works,
consider finding slightly longer standoffs.

James (again)