Re: [linux-audio-user] problem with new machine

From: Gian Paolo Mureddu <gmureddu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 01:03:02 EEST

Dave Phillips escribió:
> Greetings:
>
> Okay, I've removed all drives, leaving connected only the video,
> keyboard, and mouse.
>
> No joy, same problem. Looks like it's time to haul it to the repair
> guys. :(
>
> Btw, AFAICT the Antec has no speaker.
>
> I'll check that CMOS battery too. Who knows...
>
> Anyway, to reiterate: Nothing happens when I push the power-on
> button on the front. When I switch the power switch in the back of
> the machine, that's when I see the quick flash and can see the CPU
> fan make a revolution or two before everything stops again. One of
> the front-panel LEDs flashes once too, then it's out.
This indicates that the power is being sent from the PSU to the MoBo,
however something is not sitting that well...

What I'd check:

* Put the PSU to the O position. Unplug the power cord.
* Touch any metallic surface to eliminate any electrostatic energy
from your body.
* Disconnect *everything* from the MoBo, including power, CPU, memory
and video card.
* Replug CPU, memory and video card.
* Plug the power supply and the 12V for the CPU.
* Turn on the PSU (set it at the | position). The CPU/case/video card
fans should spin a bit.
* Press the power button. If this fails:
    * Make sure you have plugged all the front panel connections in
the RIGHT ORDER. These connections are ridiculously easy to miss
and get wrong, so double and triple check those!
    * Also, some MoBos have the clear CMOS jumper set to "clear" by
default, so no battery is being used, MAKE SURE IT IS IN THE
RIGHT POSITION! It is extremely easy to blame all other components and
this little fella could be the culprit.
    * If it still fails, recheck all of the above, and if you are 100%
certain everything is as it should, start swapping parts. Of
special interest here is the PSU.

> The MSI mobo comes with a little USB/LED bracket that flashes a
> series of light combinations to indicate what's going on with the
> board. I installed and connected the bracket. When I flip the rear
> power switch to the "|" position all four LEDs flash once, then
> nothing. The power supply fan never starts up, and the CPU fan
> spins a few times before giving up. The manual notes that if all
> four lights stay on then the CPU is damaged, so hopefully I'm
> narrowing it down to the PS. Which is still a bummer, but at least
> it's an affordable part.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

That is the expected behavior of them when power is being sent to the
motherboard, AFAIK.

Hope these advices help.