Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get SPDIF working with ALSA and M-Audio 2496

From: Hector Centeno-Garcia <h.centeno@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 06:26:24 EEST

Andrew,

I have an Audiophile 24/96 and SPDIF is working for me. How are you
testing it? Are you trying to output or input audio? I use it with Jack
and the envy24control. It depends on what you want to do, but in my case
I use the SPDIF out to output to my digital monitors and the input to
receive from a M-Audio Duo that I use as an external A/D converter.
Because I want to listen to everything coming out from the card through
the monitors, I set the SPDIF to output the Digital Mix master. You can
do this by going to the "Patchbay/Router" tab inside envy24control, and
setting to "Digital Mix L" and "Digital Mix R" under the "S/PDIF Out"
column for both L and R channels. You have to make sure that the PCM Out
1 and 2 is not muted and the volume set to the right level inside the
"Monitor PCMs" tab (it uses a not very standard way of dealing with the
channels by having two faders per channel instead of one single fader
and a panning fader, so the way I have it is the right PCM Out 1 and
left PCM Out 2 faders muted). If what you want is to output directly
form an audio software to the SPDIF outs then in Jack you have to route
to playbak_9 and playback_10 (I haven't find a way for alsa to display
the real number of physical outputs).

If you have any question, let me know! I hope this helps.

Hector