Re: [linux-audio-user] nVidia MCP51 HDA

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 04:12:01 EEST

On 7/31/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 17:29 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > > Sorry, I just got back into town and was going through 1000s of emails,
> > > and rattled that off too quickly. I did not mean to be rude but
> > > obviously I was. Apologies.
> > >
> > > Lee
> >
> > Happily accepted. Thanks.
>
> No problem.
>
> For future reference, I think you could have built and installed the
> driver, then restarted udev (/etc/init.d/udev restart on my system) and
> it would have loaded the correct driver.
>
> Lee

Lee,
   OK, I'll play along. I'm a new user setting up a new machine. I
don't know what driver to build. How do I find out without resorting
to joining lists or doing long, boring web searches. I looked at the
alsa-project.org sound card lists didn't show it. It only listed the
intel8x0 driver which was all I built before I started writing emails.

   Next, what do you mean by 'built and installed the driver'? Since
nothing tells me to use the Intel HDA driver the only way I think this
logic holds up is if I build every single driver offered by the kernel
and hope for the best. I'm sure you're not really suggesting that
path...

   And alsaconf worked just fine, but only once the driver was built.
My original thought, which seemed innocent enough, was that alsaconf
understood all the PCI IDs and then determined what driver to put in
modprobe.conf from that. Apparently not.

Cheers,
Mark