Re: [linux-audio-user] nVidia MCP51 HDA

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 15:16:26 EEST

Mark Knecht wrote:

> OK, I'll play along. I'm a new user setting up a new machine. I
> don't know what driver to build. How do I find out without resorting
> to joining lists or doing long, boring web searches. I looked at the
> alsa-project.org sound card lists didn't show it. It only listed the
> intel8x0 driver which was all I built before I started writing emails.

--with-cards=all

That oughta do it. :)

> And alsaconf worked just fine, but only once the driver was built.
> My original thought, which seemed innocent enough, was that alsaconf
> understood all the PCI IDs and then determined what driver to put in
> modprobe.conf from that. Apparently not.

Indeed. I got bit by this one recently. I was surprised when alsaconf
didn't report the existence of my PCI128. lspci could see it, but not
alsaconf, *until* I built and installed the ens1371 driver. So the
--with-cards=all option really is the best way to go for anyone who
doesn't know for sure what hardware is in their system or which driver
they need for the hardware.

Best,

dp