[linux-audio-user] Advice on desktop/platform

From: Jonty Needham <jmn20@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 15:14:49 EEST

Dear All,
I'm running Suse 9.3 on a reasonable machine. (1.6GHz AMD athlon, 512MB
ram). My studio at the moment consists of Rosegarden, Hydrogen,
zynaddsubfx, qsynth and Ardour(when I don't get CPU overflows).

I've been using KDE, and upon reccomendation I tried FVWM as it's
lighter, but I had the same number (lots!) of xruns and problems. It did
run slightly better; I had 9 extra megs of ram free but realistically I
want no xruns. I'm not running a patched kernel as I'm unable to find
out what patches SUSE needs to run that conflict with the realtime
patches. My kernel is 2.6.11 atm. Any advice? Apologies as this is
really trivial; it's just that I have very little idea what to do about
it.

--
Jonty Needham <jmn20@email-addr-hidden>