Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice on desktop/platform

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 13:58:43 EEST

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 13:14, Jonty Needham was like:
> I'm running Suse 9.3 on a reasonable machine. (1.6GHz AMD athlon, 512MB
> ram). My studio at the moment consists of Rosegarden, Hydrogen,
> zynaddsubfx, qsynth and Ardour(when I don't get CPU overflows).
>
> I've been using KDE, and upon reccomendation I tried FVWM as it's
> lighter, but I had the same number (lots!) of xruns and problems. It did
> run slightly better; I had 9 extra megs of ram free but realistically I
> want no xruns. I'm not running a patched kernel as I'm unable to find
> out what patches SUSE needs to run that conflict with the realtime
> patches. My kernel is 2.6.11 atm. Any advice? Apologies as this is
> really trivial; it's just that I have very little idea what to do about
> it.

Your choice of Window Manager should not make that much difference. Using a
much more recent kernel and recompiling it to allow realtime capabilities
should do the trick. You shouldn't be getting xruns on a machine like this
unless you really push it.

--
cheers,
tim hall