Re: [linux-audio-user] 64-bit AMD dual core mobo recommendations ?

From: Yves Potin <yves_p@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 13:14:29 EEST

Le 17 Aug à 09:42, Michael Pacey ecrivait:

> I am currently setting up a 2 x dual core opteron box for audio work. The
> motherboard works well with Linux generally. It needs the
> reverse-engeineered forcedeth driver for the network card but it's already
> in all the distros I've tried (gentoo, ubuntu, debian, fedora, 64 studio).
>
> My vendor had to install a beta BIOS in order to get ethernet working on
> Ubuntu 6.06.
>
> Link: http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html
>

> I'm afraid I can't comment on audio performance yet. I want to use the
> latest versions of the usual apps so I've been trying gentoo with
> pro-audio overlay. however I've found it very unstable.

        I have absolutely no problem with the Tyan K8W model, an ATI 9600
with Xorg 1.1 (the free driver), and a RME multiface. I'm particularly
satisfied with this motherboard, everything works perfectly with Gentoo,
once you have understood, when installing, that you want to do network
with the ethernet card and not with the firewire interface :).

Y.