Re: [linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something

From: Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 23:13:39 EEST

On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 20:00 +0000, mike@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> I don't want to turn this into a big argument, but I just want to say one thing.
> There is no copyright infringement involved in this tune that was posted.
> Although he did use samples from copyrighted works, that alone does not constitute
> copyright infringement. I won't go ahead and cite US copyright law (and it's not some
> little loophole either), but basically since there is no money being exchanged for
> this song and we as listeners are playing this in a private setting, this entire
> thing is perfectly legal.

This sounds too nice to be true. If this is the case, then how can RIAA
and friends sue everyone and their grandmother (literally) for
distributing copyrighted material in a private setting (at least as
private as a public mailing list) without charging money for it? Not
that I think that it shouldn't be legal, but it doesn't seem to be
consistent with what you are saying.

--
Lars Luthman - please encrypt any email sent to me if possible
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x04C77E2E