Re: [linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 00:30:34 EEST

--- mike@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> On Sat Aug 12 15:25 R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>
> >--- Patrick Shirkey pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
> >wrote:
> >> Ron,
> >>
> >> I haven't heard it but,
> >>
> >> ====================
> >> if (it was mixed live on tX)
> >> then it is a DJ mix which can be considered in
> >> certain circumstances,
> >> an original work;
> >
> >That's what they call originality?
> >
> >> On top of that(until it makes money or gets
> >> significant international
> >> exposure and airplay){
> >> the labels who own the original tracks won't
> even
> >> know it exists;
> >> =====================
> >What does "not knowing it exists" have to do with
> >using someone else's property when your violating
> the
> >owner rights?
> >How do think the owners of GPL licensed software
> will
> >feel when this behaviour you subscribe to becomes
> the
> >norm for their source code? What distinguishes a DJ
> >from the person who violates those rights?
> >
> >> the liklihood of that happening around here is
> slim
> >> to non existant.
> >> So, If you are going to complain every time a DJ
> >> makes a remix
> >
> >Please don't use a personal attacks when debating
> with
> >me.
> >There is a system in place that enables you to use
> >property that other people own the rights to. Be
> >responsible and learn to use it.
> >There's plenty I'd like to say but ironically
> enough I
> >have a session with a DJ for whom we wrote the
> beats.
> >It'll go about six or eight hours. Maybe I'll check
> in
> >later to see what's up. Maybe I won't.
> >
> >Ron Parker
> >Mirror Image Studio

> can

> the
> and
> cease these
> copyright violation.

> mostly

> Nirvana,
>

> I don't want to turn this into a big argument, but I
> just want to say one thing.
> There is no copyright infringement involved in this
> tune that was posted. Although he did use samples
> from copyrighted
> works, that alone does not constitute copyright
> infringement. I won't go ahead and cite US
> copyright law (and it's not some
> little loophole either), but basically since there
> is no money being exchanged for this song and we as
> listeners are playing
> this in a private setting, this entire thing is
> perfectly legal.

I'm taking a quick break in the middle of my session.
The following may not be the correct reference for
what we're talking about. It might be referring to
making an audio arrangement from sheet music
(http://www.mpa.org/copyright_resource_center/faq#q6):
---begin quote---
Do I need permission to make an arrangement or
transcription?

If an arrangement is made of a copyrighted work
without the authorization of the copyright owner, the
arrangement would be an unauthorized derivative work
and therefore an infringement of the copyright and the
exclusive right of the copyright owner. The first
thing to do when you want to make an arrangement is
check if the work is in the public domain or if it is
protected by copyright. If the work is protected by
copyright, you cannot make an arangement without the
prior permission of the copyright owner.
---end quote---

Ron Parker
Mirror Image Studio