Re: [linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 10:13:44 EEST

Patrick Shirkey schrieb:
> Hartmut Noack wrote:
>>

>>> Why else would I want to protect my IP other than making as much money
>>> as possible from it?
>>>

>> Because i want to keep my personal expressions linked to my name.
>>

> That shouldn't be a reason to stop people from using your work and
> incorporating it into their own art.

It is not, i licence my stuff CC attribution, sharealike,
non-commercial. So, if you want to use my stuff, go ahead but dont
forget to mention me ;-)
And if you see a chance to make money with it (and i certainly do not
speak about a free beer and a 20 buckaroos or so for a gig, or even
selling a hundred selfmade CDs a year }:-] )

> Art transforms over time through the application of skills and knowledge
> learnt. If we get precious about other artists incorporating our work
> then we are just trying to stop a natural process of evolution. From my
> POV that is absolutely 100% pointless.

Well now, this is like some stupid popstar, that does not mention the
musicians, that played his recording on the CD-cover.

> However, if you want to make money from your art and you want make sure
> that others who make money from using your art are forced to share
> their profit with you it makes sense to license your work with very
> strict conditions.

So if Trent Reznor would take your tracks to illustrate the next Oliver
Stone Movie and would not trow you a single cent (from the some
10thousends he gets for it) and would not even mention your name but
claim to be the sole creator of the soundtrack that would be OK then...

> That way you can sue if the money is worth it and keep another industry
> ticking over too. Plus you get all the other benefits like being able to
> say your suing "XXX" for theft of your art work while your rubbing
> shoulders with lesser mortals at the next society event. And if you are
> really lucky the person you are suing will be there too and you can get
> really artistic and have a drunken fight or break something... I mean if
> you are going to have the airs of being and important artist you might
> as well revel in it... Right?

Not right, for i would not use the corrupt and stupid "copyright" law to
 get my claims in the first place but ask the user of my stuff for some
respect personally without a lawyer involved.

There really is something between the established industry-slavery and
total unawareness of authorship.