Re: [linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 06:26:42 EEST

Hartmut Noack wrote:

>> Why else would I want to protect my IP other than making as much money
>> as possible from it?
>>

> Because i want to keep my personal expressions linked to my name.

That shouldn't be a reason to stop people from using your work and
incorporating it into their own art.

Art transforms over time through the application of skills and knowledge
learnt. If we get precious about other artists incorporating our work
then we are just trying to stop a natural process of evolution. From my
POV that is absolutely 100% pointless.

However, if you want to make money from your art and you want make sure
  that others who make money from using your art are forced to share
their profit with you it makes sense to license your work with very
strict conditions.

That way you can sue if the money is worth it and keep another industry
ticking over too. Plus you get all the other benefits like being able to
say your suing "XXX" for theft of your art work while your rubbing
shoulders with lesser mortals at the next society event. And if you are
really lucky the person you are suing will be there too and you can get
really artistic and have a drunken fight or break something... I mean if
you are going to have the airs of being and important artist you might
as well revel in it... Right?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com