Re: [linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 23:53:21 EEST

On Wed August 16 2006 16:34, Lee Revell wrote:
> > It's true that copyright holders managed to get the laws
> > changed in most places to fit what they would like reality
> > to be, but reality remains unchanged. Copying is still just
> > copying, not moving.
> By "managed to get the laws changed" are you referring to the
> US constitution? English common law from the 18th century?
> Copyright didn't start with the DMCA you know...

I don't think that the DMCA has anything to do with sampling. I
suppose the crackdown on that over the last 20 years is really
based on recent case law rather than any specific legislation.

But in a broader sense, the 1976 and Sonny Bono acts, in addition
to the DMCA, are what have most enabled the notion that a copy
of an intangible good is equivalent to a tangible one.
Certainly Bill Gates would have gotten nowhere without the
former, and none of them would have been passed without a lot of
lobbying by those who'd already made millions selling copies of
intangible things before it was possible for anyone to make
those copies.