Re: [linux-audio-user] 64-bit AMD dual core mobo recommendations ?

From: Thomas Ilnseher <illth@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 03:41:21 EEST

lanas wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:05:35 -0700
> Stephen Hassard <steve@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> lanas wrote:
>>
>>> Since the thread veered on Intel CPUs, is it possible that no-one is
>>> actually using an AMD dual-core CPU on Linux Audio ?
>>>

>> What are people using these days to test audio latency? I haven't
>> done any quantitative analysis, but things generally feel good on my
>> Athlon 64 X2 systems.
>>

> All right. Which mainboard are you using ? Is the USB working ? The
> audio ? Is there a working hardware SATA RAID ? What about the
> ethernet ports, is there any problem with them ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Al

i don't have an A64 X2, only an single core A64. the board manual says
it supports X2's, thou.

my board is an asrock 939DUAL-SataII.

USB works well.
SATA: the chipset integrated ports work well, and are supported.
SATA2: there is a JMicron JMB360 on this board. This is AHCI compatible,
but this bastard had thermal problems (got hot as hell, and the system
would not even boot). this was when it was ~30°C outside and ~55°C
inside the case. i only have the PSU fan ;)
I reverted to the SATA ports of the chipset due to this problems.

This is probably the only major issue with this board.

ETHERNET: supported by recent kernels, has an minor annoyance thou:
doesn't report cable connects / disconnects properly.
Thus i need to do "ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up" before using dhclient.

Audio: dunno, i have a audigy 2 ZS here.

Anyway, a would suggest to go with some AM2 solution (if you do not have
some DDR memory you want to recycle.)

in case of 939, you would now buy DDR memory, which will vanish from the
market soon.