Re: [linux-audio-user] Commercial audio software on Linux

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 19 2006 - 16:41:42 EEST

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:45:38 -0400
Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Davy Wentzler wrote:
>
> >First of all, this is my first post here on the list. I'm in the process
> >of porting my audio hard disk recording program 'Audio Evolution'
> >from AmigaOS4 (running on PowerPC) to wxWidgets. This will allow
> >me to release it more easily on other platforms like Windows and Linux.
> >

> Hi Davy, and welcome to the wacky world of Linux audio development and use.
>
> >Although using wxWidgets means that a big part of the program is
> >portable, some other parts like audio and plug-ins (think LADSPA, JACK)
> >would have to be written specifically for Linux. Now comes the big
> >question: since this is commercial software (with a price between
> >35 and 45 euro), would it be worth the effort to release it on Linux?
> >I think most Linux users are used to open-source and free programs and
> >I saw some already nice looking programs like Ardour and MuSe.
> >I would like to hear from you if there would be any interest?
> >
> >Here you can see a picture of the current state of my port to Windows:
> >http://www.audio-evolution.com/pics/ae5b.png
> >
> >Looking forward to some constructive discussion.
> >

> Your program looks cool, I'd like to hear some demos sometime.
>
> IMO the more stuff out there, the better. I have no idea whether anyone
> would purchase the program, but it doesn't hurt to try selling it.
> Sampo's remarks re: Ardour really bring us to the point, so if your app
> doesn't have the value added for competing with Ardour it may have some
> marketing problems. I suggest you work with Ardour a bit to see where
> your own app might do something different (forgive me if you've already
> done this) that would give it an appeal other than what we already have
> in Ardour. You might also want to consider some of the similarly
> purposed apps such as Jokosher, Frinika, ProTux, and Qtractor. They may
> also be doing things of interest to your efforts.
>
> Me, I have no personal objection to $$ for software. If your app rocked
> in some way I needed, I'd consider purchasing it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dave Phillips
> http://linux-sound.org

I'd agree with all of this but add another point. Not only do you have
to offer something extra or better but you also have to keep ahead.

I've bought software in the past that has been better than what was
freely available, and had no problem doing that. However, when the free
stuff got as good, better or just more interesting I've jumped ship.

I also advise you to beware file format lock-ins. If you try to do it
you will rapidly lose customers and get a bad reputation at the same
time.

--
Will J G