Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour and RAM

From: Drucer Ninetynine <drucer99@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 09:27:25 EEST

--- Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 at 15:35 -0700, Mark Knecht
> wrote:
> >
> > Paul,
> > I'm guessing that part of the question Drucer
> was asking was 'Does
> > Ardour use only the amount of RAM it needs?'
> Actually, I got the impression that he wanted to get
> a warm fuzzy from
> someone telling him that his 4G would be utilized by
> the software and
> not go to waste. But that's generally a bad thing,
> and the real answer
> is you want the OS to make good use of your
> available RAM, not the
> software. Linux does this, and quite well.

Hey thank you all for your replies! Yes, I had to ask
this question because I wanted to know if it would
make a difference if I installed some more RAM to my
DAW computer. No, I don't need it now, but I'm
considering getting it now anyway. Right now I have
2GB and currently I need 15-20 tracks, but I might
need more tracks later. I have a dedicated box built
for my DAW and I know that the hardware is not going
to get obsolete (how could it?), but would like to
ensure I have enough memory for the future as well
(nobody knows how hard it might be to get DDR RAM
after a couple of years).

Unfortunately I'm not nearly as bright as most of you
guys who actually program these great applications. I
do not know how typical Linux applications handle
memory, but it's good to know that it is OSs job to
take care of most of that. Thanks for clarifying this!

Do You Yahoo!?