Re: [linux-audio-user] High sample rate cards

From: nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 26 2006 - 14:23:57 EEST

Hello BJaY,

B> I'm looking to do some high sample rate stuff - 500kHz or more - for
B> modulated ultrasonics experiments. Anyone know of a card that will do this ?
B> All I've seen is data aquisition cards that cost silly money, and the sound
B> cards I've found seem to top out at 192kHz. Any pointers appreciated.

Forget using sound cards for this. The main reason to do higher
samplerates is to get a really flat filter response of the
anti-aliasing filters in the audible range.
So these filters would be your main problem if you want to go up in
frequency.

My guess is that you actually need a data-acquisition card for it.

Then you'll need a proper amplifier and transducer for this...

and then the question is how far these waves will actually go through
air, as the higher the frequency the more the wave gets damped in the
air (depending on humidity and temperature).

From what angle are you doing this? What do you try to achieve?

You may want to look at something called audio-spotlights. If I am not
mistaken with that they do something with high frequency sound waves,
where the audible sound is created by interference between two beams
of those...

sincerely,
Marije