Re: [linux-audio-user] Just look at what you have done!

From: M P Smoak <smoak@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 27 2006 - 08:06:55 EEST

On Friday 25 August 2006 01:04, Rob wrote:
> On Fri August 25 2006 01:10, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> > And that is my point, the fact something like this CAN be
> > trademarked, or would need to be is completely a sign
> > something is wrong, and people have gotten to ridiculously
> > uptight about things.
>
> Yeah, the whole patent/trademark/copyright/"intellectual
> property" thing has gotten way out of hand. The strategies
> being adopted by various free software and open source related
> entities are a response to that, dating back to the formation of
> the FSF 20 years ago. They may be ridiculous, but assuming
> these tactics are effective, they're absolutely necessary.
>
> Even if some of the participants are still hobbyists, software is
> totally a business now.
>
> Rob

Speaking of Eric Raymond:

I think this stuff is well worth thinking about. And appropriate
for Linux Audio USERS list. Is it possible for Linux, Windoze, and
Apple folks to "just get along" and make pretty tunes? I know that
if there existed Linux distribution(s) that handled all formats, my
wife would switch, and a half dozen musicians and production pro's
I know would give it a try. Me, I dream of a Linux install that
works out of the box.

And I don't mind paying the fees, if reasonable, for a stable system.

But I should really stay out of the whole thing; all I really want to
do is play alto sax. I'm getting tired of being the group sys op and
sound man.

Marv