Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio quality

From: Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 22:58:08 EEST

On 8/29/06, Dmitry Baikov <dsbaikov@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 8/29/06, Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > How do you compare the two?
>
> Not predening on scientific comparison, I just listened to the same CD
> records I have, on the same speakers.
>
> As for delta quality, I was first really upset when I was trying to
> record a sound from my synth.
> Setup was the following:
> synth -> headphones - sound was found
> synth -> delta66 -> headphones - muddy, without that specific detail
> that "made the sound"
> synth -> delta66 -> speakers - no that detail also
>
> I had Echo Indigo IO nearby and tried the following:
> synth -> indigo -> headphones - gotcha! the same sound i heard
> directly from the synth.
>
> I didn't thought the differences would be that obvious.
>
> Everything described is my personal experience and does not predend to
> be anything more.
>
> Regards,
> Dmitry.
>
> P.S. anyway, talent and hard work mean much more than hardware.

This isn't a fair comparison. As others have stated, the delta 66
doesn't have a headphone amp and the indigo does. You also don't
mention what the indigo sounded like through the same active speakers
as the delta.

I really doubt there could be that much difference. The indigo is
comparably priced to the delta (and lacks the delta's balanced I/Os,
AFAICT).