[linux-audio-user] Re: Plugging an electric instrument

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 15:43:03 EEST

On 9/4/06, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> lanas schrieb:
> > On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 00:59:50 +0200
> > Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden> écrivait:
>
> >> I really recommend to buy a small mixer.
> >
> > One point that was earlier made here when I was asking lots of
> > questions (not that I've quit doing that...) is that there should be as
> > few as possible of components in the path so that the sound source goes
> > into digital as soon as possible.
>
> This applies for microphone-preamps and recordingpreamps for Instruments
> (that are made to yield a hifi-signal), yet the average guitar-preamp is
> designed to be plugged into a poweramp, that propagates the signal via a
> speaker to the audience. In my experience the signal of such a
> guitar-preamp is not very useable if it arrives the soundcard completely
> "unspoiled" (I used to record guits with a H&K preamp some years ago and
> had to buy a cheap mixer with a graphical EQ to get a signal that had
> the qualities i would expect from the same guitar plugged into a real
> amp...).
>
> But besides all that: TRY! ;-) the best sound, you can get is the sound
> you like best. Or as Frank Zappa said to Queens Brain May:
>
> "If you are on stage, it is your show: you decide, what´s wrong or right."

This is a bass active pre though. I'm pretty sure they are line level
signals, or at least active basses are. DI active basses you just plug
them straight in to the sound card as not much "spoiling" is
required. Not sure about acoustic basses as i've only ever played one
for a few minutes. Give us a recording of how it sounds either way.

Loki