Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Lashd won't start.

From: Martin Habets <errandir_news@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 16:52:51 EEST

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 11:46:04AM +1000, Loki Davison wrote:
> >As far as the /etc/services thing, I think I'm going to drop that entry,
> >join the 21st century and use ZeroConf (via Avahi) to solve this problem
> >(which is exactly the problem zeroconf was meant to solve) - bonus
> >points for working over a network as well, which /etc/services doesn't.
> >
> >If anyone has any serious objections to Lash depending on Avahi, speak
> >now or forever hold your peace...

I'm all for the idea of joining the 21st century, but Avahi is a crap piece
of bloatware that only works properly on PC architectures.

> avahi... zeroconf... sounds useful, maybe even for something else,
> like osc service discovery with liboscqs? :)

I've tried to add support for avahi to liboscqs, but found the API to
convoluted for the goal. Basically I'd have create yet another thread
for this, and that is too costly for my liking.

If I get a chance I'll implement the MDNS publish packet directly, that way
it should work with all implementations. It's just a UDP packet anyways.
To me the 21st century way of discovering services is via nss-mdns, but not
everyone has that yet.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Martin