Re: [linux-audio-user] Favorite way to browse the list

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 21:22:56 EEST

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 12:44:49PM -0400, lanas wrote:

> E-mail at home can be retrieved by two systems, so it happens that
> sometimes I do not read replies (or miss them for some time) because
> they are on the other machine that I don't use much.
>
> So, what would be the nicest http way to browse this mailing list
> messages (with thread-following option) out there on the internet ?

This isn't what you asked for, but would using IMAP email be an option?
My mailservice is by IMAP instead of POP3, and that makes it pretty
painless to use multiple computers (sometimes simultaneously). All
email stays on the mail server unless I explicitly delete it. Assorted
mail programs may or may not keep a local, non-authoratative cache of
the server for offline reading.

IMAP servers usually allow sub folders on the server, and there may or
may not be methods supplied for sorting email into folders automatically
on the server. For my personal service, email from any of the linux
audio lists goes to a linux-audio folder automatically. However, the
work IMAP server doesn't do such things for me, so I have to rely on
Evolution to do the automatic sorting, so at work new email doesn't get
auto sorted when I view it via webmail. For my personal email, the
email is presorted when I view by webmail or ThunderBird, or Mail.app,
or Mutt.

And of course, I don't have the problem of some emails being on my home
desktop and some on the laptop, and some at work from when I checked my
personal email at work.

And using real mail programs is a lot nicer than viewing through a web
page in my opinion.

If you ISP doesn't offer IMAP server, perhaps there would be a free IMAP
email service somewhere? I haven't had a need to look for that.

Otherwise, I believe the best option is to view the official mailing
list archives at:
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-user/
which does offer a thread view.

--