Re: [linux-audio-user] That Windows feeling...

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 21:52:40 EEST

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 10:38:55 -0700 (PDT)
Drucer Ninetynine <drucer99@email-addr-hidden> écrivait:

> you just need to learn how to cook :)

Yep. Just re-installed 64Studio and it works. Everything seems to
work right away. I have to learn how to connect the external
MIDI keyboard to, say, the Zyn[...] synth and/or Hydrogen as it does
not seem as straightforward as plugging the MIDI out of the kyb to the
MIDI In of the M-Audio 1010LT and then 'connect' using Jack the 1010LT
MIDI to the Zyn MIDI port. Somethign else had to be done. Same with
Hydrogen.

I don't even want to thin about sound quality at this moment ! ;-)

> I built LFS (Linux from scratch) system. It took some
> serious interest to learn how to get it all together,
> but it's been worth it in every possible way. I have
> near perfect desktop audio system here with me right
> now - I couldn't imagine it being much better no
> matter what OS.

I use to build LFS systems that I've used at home and at work for a
few years. In fact, I built my own set of scripts to configure and
install such a system. One of these days I want to build a LFS system
for the x86_64 platform but I have no idea at how the 32/64 libs are
handled.

Earlier last year I decided to use a commercial distro to see what is
the state of Linux when you pay for it. So I bought SuSE 9.3 and then
10.0 for both home and work. Initially I was pleasantly surprised, but
then I saw some 'little things' here and there, like SuSE 10.0 not
being able to give 1600x1200 while 9.3 did. Or having trouble using
the network adapters.

First time I tried MuSE was on a LFS system I built. I was running
WindowMaker and that was a few years ago. It took some hacks to make
MuSE work (many thanks to excellent mailing list support !) and to
actually used it, but I finally made a couple of tunes for fun with it.

So eventually I'd dearly like to be on the LFS bandwagon again
(recently I tried nALFS from the live CDROM and it works great on 386
systems), revamping my scripts and perhaps even adding a GUI interface.

The point is, I don't mind spending the time as that's where my
professional interest lies, but in parallel, I find it deceiving that
in 2006 there are still some basic problems with the major flagship
distros. For instance, why is SuSE bundling Jack (and MuSE and
Ardour, etc...) when there are no instructions on how to make all this
work. In fact, even the SuSE kernel has no realtime in it or as
modules. Or Fedora telling me that my screen is 1600x1200 when it's
clearly not.

Ah well.

Cheers,
Al