Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio omnistudio USb jackd issues

From: Chris Abbott <redfox@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 22:43:28 EEST

Chris Abbott wrote:
> This is my .asoundrc. I'll have to wait and see if the moderators will
> let my very long message of lsusb -v and the cats go through. If not,
> I'll shorten it up somehow or put it on the website and drop the link
> in a message. But nonetheless, it shows the device supporting 16- and
> 24-bit samples.
>
> pcm.usb-aduio {
> type multi;
> slaves.a.pcm "hw:1,0";
> slaves.a.channels 2;
> slaves.b.pcm "hw:1:1";
> slaves.b.channels 2;
> bindings.0.slave a;
> bindings.0.channel 0;
> bindings.1.slave a;
> bindings.1.channel 1;
> bindings.2.slave b;
> bindings.2.channel 0;
> bindings.3.slave b;
> bindings.3.channel 1;
> }
>
> ctl.usb-audio {
> type hw;
> card 1;
> }
>
> rawmidi.usb-audio {
> type hw;
> card 1;
> }
>
> -Chris
Stuff from the message that was too big.

Below it is cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0 and below that is cat
/proc/asound/card1/stream1. According to all of this(including the
unlisted lsusb -v), it supports 24-bit and 16-bit. At 24-bit@email-addr-hidden, it
is suppose to have 4in and 2out, at least according to M-Audio and when
used in OSX. Which I have no problem with using it in OSX, except that I
have crashed OSX twice with unplugging and plugging it from the USB
port. I have yet to have a problem with it doing this in Linux. Plus, I
have some plug-in bugs in Ardour in OSX. Also, as seen in cat
/proc/asound/card1/stream1, it is playing (via beep-media-player) at
44.1Khz and 24-bit format.
"cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0"

~# cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0
M-Audio OmniStudio USB at usb-0001:10:1b.1-1, full speed : USB Audio

Playback:
 Interface 1
   Altset 4
   Format: S16_LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 3 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
   Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100
 Interface 4
   Altset 1
   Format: S24_3LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 3 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
   Rates: 88200, 96000
 Interface 4
   Altset 3
   Format: S24_3LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 3 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
   Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000
 Interface 4
   Altset 4
   Format: S16_LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 3 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
   Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000

Capture:
 Interface 2
   Altset 4
   Format: S16_LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 5 IN (SYNC)
   Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100
 Interface 5
   Altset 1
   Format: S24_3LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 5 IN (SYNC)
   Rates: 88200, 96000
 Interface 5
   Altset 3
   Format: S24_3LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 5 IN (SYNC)
   Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000
 Interface 5
   Altset 4
   Format: S16_LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 5 IN (SYNC)
   Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000

"cat /proc/asound/card1/stream1"

~# cat /proc/asound/card1/stream1
M-Audio OmniStudio USB at usb-0001:10:1b.1-1, full speed : USB Audio #1

Playback:
   Interface = 7
   Altset = 3
   URBs = 8 [ 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 ]
   Packet Size = 192
   Momentary freq = 44100 Hz (0x2c.199a)
 Interface 7
   Altset 1
   Format: S24_3LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 4 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
   Rates: 88200, 96000
 Interface 7
   Altset 3
   Format: S24_3LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 4 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
   Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000
 Interface 7
   Altset 4
   Format: S16_LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 4 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
   Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000

Capture:
 Interface 8
   Altset 1
   Format: S24_3LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 6 IN (SYNC)
   Rates: 88200, 96000
 Interface 8
   Altset 3
   Format: S24_3LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 6 IN (SYNC)
   Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000
 Interface 8
   Altset 4
   Format: S16_LE
   Channels: 2
   Endpoint: 6 IN (SYNC)
   Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000

Is it possible that Jack is sending the right information to get the
sample format. I think I read somewhere that jack sends out stuff like
S24_LE and according to the cats, the device identifies its 24-bit and
others as S24_3LE.