[linux-audio-user] Success Report: FreeBob on Dynebolic (with HowTo)

From: Carlo Capocasa <capocasa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 06 2006 - 01:48:54 EEST

Took me quite a while, but I was successful at setting up my Roland
FA-101 firewire audio interface on Dynebolic!

CHIMES AND MAJESTIC TRUMPETS

I downloaded libfreebob from subversion. At the time of writing,
libfreebob SVN requires three libraries, libraw1394 1.2.1+, libieee61883
 1.1 and libavc1394 0.5.3. These are all newer than the versions shipped
with dyne. The first two are in the 'video' module, presumably because
of firewire being common among digital video cameras. The last is in the
dyne /usr tree.

In order to be able to make permanent modifications to the system, I
created a dynebolic SDK.

--
dynesdk makesdk
cp /mnt/cdrom/* /mnt/hd1/1/dyne/SDK/cdrom -R
--
Then, I set development mode for 'video' module and deleted the old
versions of the libraries inside.
--
dynesdk devel video
rm -R /opt/video/lib/libraw1394*
rm /opt/video/lib/pkgconfig/libfraw1394.pc
rm -R /opt/video/include/libfraw1394*
rm -R /opt/video/lib/libieee61883*
rm /opt/video/lib/pkgconfig/libieee61883.pc
rm -R /opt/video/include/libieee61883*
dynesdk squash video
--
Next, I removed the third library. No mode setting was necessary as this
is part of the core system, which will be 'checked out' with a single
dynesdk command when all modifications are complete.
--
rm -R /usr/lib/libavc1394*
rm /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libavc1394.pc
rm -R /usr/libavc1394*
--
Third, I installed the latest release of libraw1394. I used release
versions wherever possible, and this was one of the two cases where it
worked out.
Downloaded 1.2.1 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/libraw1394
--
tar -xvzf libraw1394-1.2.1.tar.gz
cd libraw1394-1.2.1
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
make dev
--
Next, I installed the latest SVN of libieee61883 and built it.
--
svn checkout svn://svn.linux1394.org/libiec61883/trunk/ libiec61883
cd libiec61883
autoreconf -f -i -s
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
--
And the latest release of libavc1394.
--
tar -xvzf libavc1394-0.5.3.tar.gz
cd libavc1394-0.5.3
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
--
Now, finally, libfreebob from subversion can be installed:
--
svn co \
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/freebob/branches/libfreebob-1.0 \
libfreebob
cd libfreebob
autoreconf -vis
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
--
You can test by running tests/test-freebob discover in the build
directory. There should be several pages of output and some information
on your device printed somewhere. If it doesn't work out, please go
ahead and post here!
Now, the latest subversion of jack is necessary in order to properly
support freebob, since there were some freebob API changes recently.
Note I did not uninstall jack 100.0.0 but trusted the new jack to
overwrite since it is installed in the same prefix.
--
svn co http://subversion.jackaudio.org/jack/trunk/jack jack
cd jack
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --with-default-tmpdir=/tmp
make
make install
--
Well, that's it! Test with the following:
jackd -d freebob
If jack stays running you were successful!
Once you have a running jack, you need the latest QJackCtl in order to
bring FreeBob support to ease of use:
(When prompted for a password after CVS login, simply press return)
--
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@email-addr-hidden:/cvsroot/qjackctl\
login
cvs -z3 \
-d:pserver:anonymous@email-addr-hidden:/cvsroot/qjackctl co \
qjackctl
cd qjackctl
make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
--
Now set up QJackCtl according to your favorite parameters: Freebob
backend, and probably something along the line of 64 frames per period
and 2 periods per buffer. Also set the number of input and output
channels to match your sound card. If in doubt, you can run
--
jackd -d freebob
jack_lsp
--
and count the number of channels.
And now for that piece of special dyne magic that makes dyne unique in
the operating system world!
--
dynesdk mkusr
dynesdk mkinitrd