Re: Re: [linux-audio-user] Very short composition

From: Tim Howard <tdhoward@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 02:38:59 EEST

Dave Philips wrote:
> I think you're on the right track with regards to layering your
> instruments. However, you should take more time balancing the separate
> tracks. Right now the instruments aren't blending so well. The guitar is
> a little too far up front, and your other instruments need more
> attention to their relationship with the guitar part.

I noticed that when I tested it out on my main stereo system, but I'm
a little unsure of what to do to make leads "sit" in the mix... any
suggestions? I keep getting hung up between "I want my lead to be
heard" and "I want the overall mix to blend really well", and I can
never seem to satisfy both.

> you're excited by the possibilities opened up by this great software we
> have, but perhaps you should take more time with the details of your
> mix. Edits and retakes are parts of the creative process, you'll find
> and do new things as you go over your work with the proverbial
> fine-tooth comb.

Good advice! I will definitely be spending more time on my mixes from
here on. :-) Thanks a lot for the feedback, Dave.

TimH