Re: [linux-audio-user] linux preinstalled laptops for audio

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 19:20:04 EEST

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 02:46:05AM -0400, Rob wrote:

> So then, when I built the snd-usb-audio module and did make
> modules_install (long after a member of their target market
> would have thrown up his hands in frustration), the laptop's
> wireless card stopped working (dmesg says it wouldn't take the
> firmware.) I switched to a stock Ubuntu kernel, and now I have
> wifi and MIDI with no compiling or hand-tweaking needed --
> meaning they actually DISABLED the USB audio stuff on their
> custom build -- but no tablet functions whatsoever.

Do you know, does the tablet functionality look like a normal wacom
tablet? Ubuntu uses CONFIG_USB_WACOM=m by default, so unless a tablet
computer requires a different computer from a stand alone wacom tablet,
you should have the needed kernel driver present. Is there anything
about wacom when you do an lsmod? If not, what happens if you try
"sudo modprobe wacom"?

I'm assuming that the Xorg configuration shouldn't need to change when
you switched to a standard kernel, but that might require digging into
as well.

Previously I had very little trouble setting up wacom tablets on Linux,
although I don't have any machines configured that way for comparison
against currently.

> On the plus side, I love the Thinkpad itself.... much nicer than
> my old Dell X200, though I wish I could mute the console beep
> since it's far louder than the sound card output.

System>Preferences>Sound. If you then click on the System Beep tab,
there is an "Enable system beep" check box that you can disable. At
least, it worked as desired on my workplace R51 laptop (running
Dapper), where the system beeps were way too loud as well.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd@email-addr-hidden