Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: ANN: bristol 0.9.5-60

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 20 2006 - 23:31:39 EEST

Nice piece of work on the issue with the audio device access failing.

This does indeed happen - if the GUI does not get a response from the engine
(that is started before it) then it kind of hangs. I will work on this. It
had been reported before, but I rested on the case that 'it works on my
system' so I could not reproduce it. Next release hopefully I can get it to
exit gracefully if the audio device is not available, or that it responds
correctly to other device specifications.

Yes, the gain is low, but I did not know it was THAT low. Can you try using
the 'startBristol -gain 8', or more than 8 if you need, to increase the
final stage output gain. Watch out for the B3 though, it still thumps out at
quite a high level by comparison. I will mention that a fix other than the
final output stage gain is a bit gruesome, since the internals rely on the
signal levels used by the application - changing those would affect
filtering levels, for example, and especially when the emphasis is high. If
you are working with 16bit audio then using the output gain should not
really reduce the quality, but at 24bits, if you have this resoution, then
it is a non optimal solution for various reasons. Another alterntive is too
buy a couple of mallets with which to whallop your master keyboard. No? Ok,
I would not have gone for that one either.

Regarding MIDI support - what do need bristol to do? It should respond to a
MIDI keyboard to allow you to play notes, but a the moment it will not link
its controls to MIDI Continuous Controllers. That is also due to be changed
as part of some usability enhancements: it should include controller
mappings from the GUI, save the settings to a per synth memory (not per
memory, just one setting per synth), it should support program change
messages and allow the keyboard graphic to reflect the state of the midi
keyboard (I am personally against this - tying two synths together allows
one to play the other, but it does not cause the keys on one to be depressed
via midi. Either way, people like it so it will probably be implemented).

Is this what you need? It something have put on the to-do list.

On a related issue, what are other wishes for bristol? My plans are the midi
support, lash support, a korg ms-20 type synth, finalise the mixer and
perhaps add a bristol modular although I don't like this last idea to much
as it goes against the idea of being an emulator.

I will put the EMS Synthi on the list, although I don't have a breadboard
patching and I was not aware they had patch cable controlled synths - this
is EMS, no? I will admit to wanting to work on some of their synths already,
but if I get a breadboard then perhaps an ARP 2500 is on the cards although
that is a lot more work.

Kind Regards, and many thanks for the feedback. A wishlist would make me
happy, above and beyond what is in this mail.

Nick.