Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Do I need a preamp for the SoundBlaster Live?

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 01:24:17 EEST

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 19:14 -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> To the original poster:
> The fact that you're using a SM58 and a SB Live indicates that you're on
> the cost-effective side of things. If the signal level is strong enough,
> then you don't need a preamp, nor do you need to change your sound card.
>
> On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 00:07 +0200, Carlo Capocasa wrote:
> >
> > However, since you are willing to invest in a pre-amp, you might want to
> > consider getting a sound card that is geared at pro recording, that
> > INCLUDES a pre-amp. This is the path I have chosen, full analog signal
> > chain integration (tm).
>
> Full analog signal bullsh**.
> "Pro recording" and cards with integrated mic preamps do not mix. That's
> bang-for-the-buck amateur recording, not "pro".

    When you use the term "integrated" I'm not sure what you are
referring to. I have a number of mid-range tube and solid state mic
preamps and tube compressors. I find that the mic preamps in my
external ADC/DAC 2000 that came with my DSP 2000 C-Port are as good and,
in some cases, better than the externals. It depends on what you are
looking for. I don't consider preamps on external units connected to
the soundcard to be "integrated". I'm certainly not going to spring for
anything in the Avalon price range to record my SM58 ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice