Re: [linux-audio-user] Distros these days? What a mess!

From: <iainduncan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 23:26:38 EEST

> > Delta 66. Worked fine until I actually installed any audio utils, then
> after
> > that even aplay wouldn't work.
>
> aplay won't work if JACK is running as this card lacks hardware mixing.

I had not installed or started Jack though ....

> > More troubling is the fact that it seemed near
> > impossible to gut all the sound stuff and start recompiling alsa drivers
> as
> > modules so that my card would be seen by the system as multi cards if I
> wan't it
> > to be. Ubuntu has rolled alsa control into gnome so you can't remove alsa
> > without removing gnome, unless you want to start rebuilding your entire
> desktop
> > , which kinda negates the advantages of Ubunutu. I googled a bit and found
> a lot
> > of others complaining about ice1712 bugs and how difficult it is to fix so
> > heck with that.
> >

> You can build new ALSA packages, or just compile ALSA and install over
> the Ubuntu ALSA modules.

I tried that and didn't get anywhere either. I think Ubuntu has a bright future,
but for now I don't think getting pro audio working on it is high on their
priorit list! Anyway, it seemed needlessly difficult to take alsa out of the
debian kernels and build it as modules because of the stock desktop integration.
I think I'll give Arch linux a whirl and see how that goes.

Iain