[linux-audio-user] Distros these days? What a mess!

From: <iainduncan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 21:25:00 EEST

Gaaah! I haven't had to install a new linux in ages, and now am faced with doing
so. Is it just me, or is the state of linux pro audio on the major distros a
total mess right now? Fedora core 5 seems to require MUCH tweaking to get any
audio working and has a lot of alsa weirdness preventing serious work,
Ubuntu just plain doesn't work with numerous cards ( including mine! ) and
gentoo took a giant step backwards by rushing a broken and not ready 2006.1
installer out the door negating all the advantages they used to have.

Am I the only one who feels like getting pro audio working these days is
*harder* than two years ago??? It seems to me that in the race to make a distro
that has everything working out of the box, we now have a bunch of things that
are really screwed up for those of us with unusual needs, and now they are much
harder to untangle. =(

Any recos for a distro that must:
- be decent for development
- allow easy integration of from source apps with the distro
- be realtively straightforward for audio kernel recompiles

Thanks
Iain