Re: [linux-audio-user] Distros these days? What a mess!

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 21:51:25 EEST

On 9/22/06, iainduncan@email-addr-hidden <iainduncan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> ...and
> gentoo took a giant step backwards by rushing a broken and not ready 2006.1
> installer out the door negating all the advantages they used to have.

Yeah, it was pretty bad the one time I tried it.

That said, using the installer is an option. Why not just do the
install the old way, by hand?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

I've done a new machine for my son 3-4 weeks ago. It's working great.
He's happy. He has all the apps he wants. Portage works great.
Wireless is working OK for him. Things are good.

Note that Gentoo management, WRT portage and apps anyway, does seem
less crisp than it used to some years ago. There has been a rash of
apps going from testing to stable to masked to unavailable. A few of
them, like eselect-compiler, have caused me and others problems.
Strange problems... ;-)

Anyway, I still like Gentoo. I haven't seen an xrun in months, even
running at 64/2 all day long. (Even when running the ati-drivers
package!) ;-)

- Mark