Re: [linux-audio-user] Distros these days? What a mess!

From: <iainduncan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 21:53:33 EEST

Quoting Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>:

> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 11:40 -0700, iainduncan@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > IE a fresh
> > install of Ubuntu won't even aplay, with one of the most popular
> > prosumer audio
> > cards out there! That is terrible.
>
> Which card? What were the symptoms?

Delta 66. Worked fine until I actually installed any audio utils, then after
that even aplay wouldn't work. More troubling is the fact that it seemed near
impossible to gut all the sound stuff and start recompiling alsa drivers as
modules so that my card would be seen by the system as multi cards if I wan't it
to be. Ubuntu has rolled alsa control into gnome so you can't remove alsa
without removing gnome, unless you want to start rebuilding your entire desktop
, which kinda negates the advantages of Ubunutu. I googled a bit and found a lot
of others complaining about ice1712 bugs and how difficult it is to fix so to
heck with that.

I do hope they get on that Mubunut idea though, because in all other respects I
loved it. But pro audio users NEED to be able configure audio drivers as they
want, they really can't work with a tied in approach like that.

Iain