Re: [linux-audio-user] Distros these days? What a mess!

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 14:37:10 EEST

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 06:34:25 -0500
The Other <sstubbs@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Saturday 23 September 2006 2:06 pm, iainduncan@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > Can anyone tell if sharing the home partition and swap partition is
> > a good plan? I'm thinking seperate boots, seperate /s, and shared
> > swap and home.
>
> Hello Iain,
> I've been sharing the swap partition between 2 or more Linux distros
> for over 2 years now without problems.
>
> But I've never tried sharing the home partition.
>
> I would think that if you installed xyz application from 1 distro,
> then installed xyz application with perhaps a different version
> number in the 2nd distro, the .xyz directory in /home might get
> altered from the 2nd install and cause problems when you returned to
> the 1st distro and ran xyz application.
>
> If you have the courage to try sharing /home partitions, let me know
> how it works for you. I might give it a try.
>
> Best Regards,
> Stephen.

I've been sharing the home partition between different Mdk distros for
years, and more recently between Mdk and Debian. I set up different
*users* for each distro but with a common share directory (with public
r/w permission) for documents, photos music etc. That way distro
specific stuff doesn't get mixed up.

Sometimes there is a slight issue with write permissions, but a quick
chmod sorts that out - otherwise I've had no problems.

--
Will J G