Re: [linux-audio-user] Solved: flash movie buffering problems

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Sat Sep 23 2006 - 22:00:25 EEST

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 17:13 +0000, carmen wrote:
> On Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 12:38:45PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 12:17 -0400, Dana Olson wrote:
> > > The horrible AV sync has nothing to do with machine speed, and
> > > everything to do with Flash 7 sucking on Linux.
> >
> > That's what I always thought, but this has come up on other sites and a
> > lot of Linux users report that YouTube is usable for them...
>
> YouTube is usable for me, but only because of a one-line greasemonkey script i wrote to replace the flash object with a mplayerplug-in/mozplugger compatible <embed>:
>
> http://whats-your.name/flashsucks right click "Install This User Script" on youtubewoflash.user.js or youtubedownload.user.js

I'll try it but the mplayer plugin doesn't work reliably for me either.
About 75% of the time it buffers then just sits there with a grey box
and never plays. Occasionally it works if I hit "play" but most of the
time I have to resort to right clicking and "copy URL", then run
"gmplayer $URL" in a terminal which works *every time*.

> i suspect the reason behind everyone using flash is, the only format that would likely work on all platform-specific media player plugins is mpg, (good luck usinc wmv9 on mac, or quicktime h264 with windows media player by default, and we know they wont go anywhere near xvid or theora), whereas flash is installed 'everywhere' and its codec is better than mpg.

Yeah, I sometimes forget that WMV still doesn't work reliably on Macs.
But doesn't MPEG-4 work on every platform?

Lee