Re: [linux-audio-user] WINE and ASIO

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 25 2006 - 19:02:07 EEST

On Monday 25 September 2006 11:38, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 08:11 -0700, Ken wrote:
> > One thing that bothers me though, is why are Linux peeps
> > playing with M$ apps instead of funneling that energy
> > towards replacements in native Linux?
> maybe because trying out some cool windows apps with the new
> WINE/ASIO support takes a few hours whereas writing
> replacements or improved inspirations from such apps takes a
> few years and requires a skillset that doesn't necessarily
> overlap with testing and analysis?

Yeah, that false dichotomy has always bugged me. Even if you
limit it to developers ("why waste your time coding for Wine
when you could be writing native Linux audio apps/games/whatever
the poster thinks is lacking?"), implementing a foreign API is a
totally different job that takes a totally different mindset
than something like Bristol or LASH.

Rob