Where to, linux audio ( was Re: [linux-audio-user] WINE and ASIO )

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 25 2006 - 21:13:49 EEST

On Monday 25 September 2006 19:12, linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden.edu
wrote:
> > One thing that bothers me though, is why are Linux peeps playing with M$
> > apps instead of funneling that energy towards replacements in native
> > Linux?
>
> What a strange thing to say.  The majority of the Linux audio software out
> there is capable of far more than offering simple feature replacements for
> commercial windows applications.  Have you even looked into the options?
> (http://linux-sound.org/)

Rosegarten is almost there. Ardour for all-audio work is very nice once one
figures out its interface. Muse is fun is soft-synths are the objective. The
new LMMS and others are moving along.

One thing, though: Many of us started out in M$ or Macs. A lot of good work is
in formats of Cakewalk, Steinberg, Protools, etc. The real move to Linux will
require interoperability and this is simply not there. New projects, once I
have equvilatent quality hardware with Alsa support ($), can be done quite
fine in Linux. All else remains on the "other" partition.

While wine-asio (I have also proposed a jack-assio [SIC] which would be
native) will enable some apps to try to work with an emulation layer, do not
expect realistic (that is real-time) operation. I have only one audio-app
which cuts the grade under wine and that is the har-bal demo (no M# code,
according to the author, maybe that's why).