Re: [linux-audio-user] Vienna Symphonic Orchestra Help

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 05:10:01 EEST

Yeah - you will come no where close to the realism of performance
using LinuxSampler and just the Vienna gig files themselves that you
can get on a Windows machine using the gig files plus the real-time
processing those tools they provide. In Linux you'll be limited to
only playing essentially since notes.

Under Windows those tools identify specific things in MIDI streams,
like overlapping notes for a violin, and then pick specific recordings
within the gig files that you will never ever choose without the
tools. In fact under Linux some MIDI patterns will sound completely
different without the use of the tools.

*Possibly* the tools might work under Wine someday. They did not work
earlier. Without the tools you're probably paying way too much for the
results you'll get.

My 2 cents,
Mark