Re: [linux-audio-user] ANN: bristol 0.9.5-60

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 16:11:38 EEST

>Why not put the synth name in the IO port name? Unless you already
>do, in which case I'm not sure what you mean by a namespace clash.

There are problems here due to the engine being multitimbral, so a few
examples:

1. Single engine, multiple emulations (multitimbral Hammond and ARP 2600):

If the bristol engine first registers with the synth name then it starts
using Hammond for its IO. Then the signal from ARP 2600, which is started
afterwards, will come from the outputs named Hammond which is rather
ambiguous. This could almost be resolved with registering separate IO for
each emulation, but there there is case 2:

2. Single engine, multiple emulations (Prophet-5 and another Prophet-5):

These might be two different invocations of the same synth, however at the
same time this is pretty much how the Prophet-10 works (and the OBXa, and
the B3 kind of). This causes other issues with available namespace inside
the single registration. Why should a user not be able to have two Mini Moog
operating simultaneously using either methods described above? Neither
solution to case 1 or case 2 address this possibility.

2. Multiple Engines

Each engine would be affected by both of the above issues. Bristol was
designed to be able to produce all emulations simultenously.

The current 'workaround', which has not been uploaded yet, is that bristol
will register as itself. If that fails it will attempt to register
'bristol_<pid>'. This may cause other issues regarding LASH understanding
the use of a PID in connection settings as the PID will invariably change
between invocations? LASH support it not actually there yet, but it is on
the horizon so obviously needs to be considered whilst solving this problem.

All output from each synth us still currently collapsed by bristol onto the
same stereo outputs, this may give issues with mixing, obviously.

I am open to suggestions. Should the user give an optional registration
name? Even that goes against the grain of usability.

Regards,

Nick.