Re: [linux-audio-user] xmms does not play on multiface

From: Dragan Noveski <perodog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 03 2006 - 18:41:49 EEST

Martin Wohlleben wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 01.10.2006, 20:15 +0200 schrieb Dragan Noveski:
>
>> hi to the list,
>> i have a strange issue here with xmms, which wants not to play via
>> rme-multiface.
>> i am using 2.6.18-rt5 kernel, compiled with 1000Hz option, when i load
>> my usb device, or the onboard sound, xmms plays very well, but only on
>> the multiface i have the issue, that xmms responses only the first
>> "click" and than it freezes.
>> the same issue i have using the 2.6.16-rt13 kernel, but as it is working
>> on these kernels using the usb/onboard sound, i dont think that this is
>> related to the kernel, but perhaps to the firmware?
>>
>> dont know.
>>
>> does anybody else have this problem using rme-cards?
>>
>> cheers,
>> doc
>>

> Hi,
>
> my Multiface is running fine with xmms under 2.6.26-rt29. The only thing
> is, that xmms only accepts the grouped outputs set in my ~/.asoundrc
>
> For example my multiface is hw:2, but xmms can't acces hw:2,0. So I have
> to set:
>
> pcm.hdsp {
> type hw
> card 2
> }
>
> ctl.hdsp {
> type hw
> card 2
> }
>
> pcm.hdsp_analog {
> type plug
> ttable.0.0 1
> ttable.1.1 1
> ttable.2.2 1
> ttable.3.3 1
> ttable.4.4 1
> ttable.5.5 1
> ttable.6.6 1
> ttable.7.7 1
> slave.pcm hdsp
> }
>
> in my ~/.asoundrc and use `hdsp_analog` as output device in xmms.
>
> Mor infos to goup your channels can be found here:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7024
>
> regards
> Martin

hi,
thanx very much for this response,
unfortunately it does not helps in my case!
i never used a .asoundrc, so copied and pasted that one from the link
above, now after the boot, i dont have to run alsaconf anymore, rme
shows up as hw:0,0, which is actually good.
but xmms still has that problem, after setting up the .asoundrc, xmms
begins to play for 2 seconds a very dirty distorted sound but than it
crashes again.
i am trying to use "hdsp_analog" as the output in xmms, but i have the
feeling that xmms does not remember this entry, everytime i open up the
"configure" dialog in the xmms, it is setted to default again?

any other hints?

cheers,
doc