Re: [linux-audio-user] xmms does not play on multiface

From: Martin Wohlleben <Martin.Wohlleben@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 03 2006 - 21:06:11 EEST

Am Dienstag, den 03.10.2006, 17:41 +0200 schrieb Dragan Noveski:
> Martin Wohlleben wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 01.10.2006, 20:15 +0200 schrieb Dragan Noveski:
> >
> >> hi to the list,
> >> i have a strange issue here with xmms, which wants not to play via
> >> rme-multiface.
> >> i am using 2.6.18-rt5 kernel, compiled with 1000Hz option, when i load
> >> my usb device, or the onboard sound, xmms plays very well, but only on
> >> the multiface i have the issue, that xmms responses only the first
> >> "click" and than it freezes.
> >> the same issue i have using the 2.6.16-rt13 kernel, but as it is working
> >> on these kernels using the usb/onboard sound, i dont think that this is
> >> related to the kernel, but perhaps to the firmware?
> >>
> >> dont know.
> >>
> >> does anybody else have this problem using rme-cards?
> >>
> >> cheers,
> >> doc
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > my Multiface is running fine with xmms under 2.6.26-rt29. The only thing
> > is, that xmms only accepts the grouped outputs set in my ~/.asoundrc
> >
> > For example my multiface is hw:2, but xmms can't acces hw:2,0. So I have
> > to set:
> >
> > pcm.hdsp {
> > type hw
> > card 2
> > }
> >
> > ctl.hdsp {
> > type hw
> > card 2
> > }
> >
> > pcm.hdsp_analog {
> > type plug
> > ttable.0.0 1
> > ttable.1.1 1
> > ttable.2.2 1
> > ttable.3.3 1
> > ttable.4.4 1
> > ttable.5.5 1
> > ttable.6.6 1
> > ttable.7.7 1
> > slave.pcm hdsp
> > }
> >
> > in my ~/.asoundrc and use `hdsp_analog` as output device in xmms.
> >
> > Mor infos to goup your channels can be found here:
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7024
> >
> > regards
> > Martin
> >

> hi,
> thanx very much for this response,
> unfortunately it does not helps in my case!
> i never used a .asoundrc, so copied and pasted that one from the link
> above, now after the boot, i dont have to run alsaconf anymore, rme
> shows up as hw:0,0, which is actually good.
> but xmms still has that problem, after setting up the .asoundrc, xmms
> begins to play for 2 seconds a very dirty distorted sound but than it
> crashes again.
> i am trying to use "hdsp_analog" as the output in xmms, but i have the
> feeling that xmms does not remember this entry, everytime i open up the
> "configure" dialog in the xmms, it is setted to default again?
>
> any other hints?
>
> cheers,
> doc

hi,

I think that's because hdsp_analog isn't initialized. If your hdsp is
hw:0 then you have to set pcm.hdsp to card 0.

Your asoundrc should look like this then (added groups for adat and
spdif like in the article above):

pcm.hdsp {
        type hw
        card 0
}
ctl.hdsp {
        type hw
        card 0
}
pcm.hdsp_analog {
        type plug
        ttable.0.0 1
        ttable.1.1 1
        ttable.2.2 1
        ttable.3.3 1
        ttable.4.4 1
        ttable.5.5 1
        ttable.6.6 1
        ttable.7.7 1
        slave.pcm hdsp
}
pcm.hdsp_adat {
        type plug
        ttable.0.8 1
        ttable.1.9 1
        ttable.2.10 1
        ttable.3.11 1
        ttable.4.12 1
        ttable.5.13 1
        ttable.6.14 1
        ttable.7.15 1
        slave.pcm hdsp
}
pcm.hdsp_spdif {
    type plug
    ttable.0.16 1
    ttable.1.17 1
    slave.pcm hdsp
}

you can check the number of your hdsp through:

cat /proc/asound/cards

and test your setting using

aplay -d hdsp_analog <path_to_a_wav_or_pcm_file"

is this doesn't work try to check if it's usable as plugdevice:

aplay -d plughw:0,0 <path_to_a_wav_or_pcm_file"

good luck
Martin