Re: [linux-audio-user] Music: There's A Girl

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 23:13:16 EEST

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 16:05:47 +0200
Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> http://www.archive.org/details/theres_a_girl
>

> "There's a girl, that want's to own you
> from your head, down to your toes
> She wants your mind, your soul and spirit
> Why it is, she only knows
>
> You must take, your money with you
> Every night, out on the town
> You hesitate, just for an instant
> She'll cut you loose, to sink and drown
>
> Her heart is cold, so cold and deep boy
> Like the waters, of the ocean's tongue
> Her eyes are sharp, they'll stab your back boy
> So watch her close, don't turn and run."
>
> A text by drew Roberts, which you can find as spoken
> words at
> http://www.archive.org/details/dragirl
>

> These words and the inherent rhythm inspired me to
> make a track, and after trying rap and some kinda
> reggae, I finally pulled this through.
>
> My usual tools: Om, MusE, Jamin
> Other tools: my voice, keyring and a coffee mug.
>
> If anyone thinks he can add something, or do a
> better job at singing ... i'm all ears and willing
> to make revised version in cooperation.
> All files can be made available on request.
>
> All feedback welcome. I especialy like to hear
> descriptions of the track, your own view on it.
> Reviews at the archive would also be nice ;)
>

> Cheers,
> Thorsten Wilms

The earlier instrumental section seems to have a distinctly
Oriental/Asian feel to it. Whereas the song itself seems more
African influenced.

I'll have to listen to it some more, but I think I agree with other
comments that the lead-in is really on the long side. I wonder if the
song could be partly overlaid on this? Just a thought.

I find the whole piece unusual enough to be interesting, without
jarring. I suppose you could call the song itself 'soft' rap.

--
Will J G