Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux-friendly portable music player?

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 02:47:05 EEST

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:23:06 -0700
ken dawson chia wu <dawsonwu@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> My attempts to update the firmware as illustrated though a link
> elsewhere in this thread resulted in v1.71 of the firmware being
> installed (not v1.70 as illustrated on the linked page), and the
> option to switch to UMS mode from MTP mode did not appear in this
> process.

Well, as I've replied on this thread, I did not try this yet, as MTP
mode is OK for me now. Creating directories and such on the device
would be nice, but I can do without since I do not use it that much.
Maybe one day.

> So, I'm curious how your use of gphoto2 manages to access the T30.
> From my reading of the gphoto2 docs, it is about USB-linked cameras
> pretty much exclusively; so am I missing something? Were you able to
> access your T30 in MTP mode? If so, please explain how.

From what I've read the guys at gphoto have to deal with MTP as part of
many digital cameras. So the by-product of this is having a MTP access
for the T30. I'll describe now how I do it. It may look quite geeky,
but it's really not that complicated, especially if you keep the
commands in a file and cut & paste them when needed. One of these days
if I ever have the time and the inclination, I'll do a simple lib
interface and GUI, just for programming fun.

For all the commands below to work, you'll have to do them as root.

So here goes. I use Fedora 5, CCRMA. Plug the device using the
provided USB cable. Put the device in music play mode, but with no song
playing. A USB icon should then take the whole display space.

First see if the device is seen by the system (and also get the ID of
the device):

# lsusb

You should see some hexa stuff like "0x4102:0x1119". You'll use that
to address your device at all times and worst, you have to tell gphoto
that it has to behave like device "0x054c:0x004e". Who knows what
device "0x054c:0x004e" truly is ? I surely don't. But for gphoto it's
important. Remeber, keep these lines in a file at cut & paste them.
The ID of your device will never change.

So let's say that 'lsusb' gave you an ID of "0x4102:0x1119" (which is
actually the ID for my T30). Now, if you want to list the files on the
T30, you'd do:

# gphoto2 --usbid "0x4102:0x1119=0x054c:0x004e" -L

To list the folders you'd do:

# gphoto2 --usbid "0x4102:0x1119=0x054c:0x004e" -l

Based on the file list above, to retrieve a voice file you've recorded
on the T30 you'd do, for example:

# gphoto2 --usbid "0x4102:0x1119=0x054c:0x004e" -f /store_00010001/VOICE -p VOICE0807_000.MP3

(the above all in one line)

To upload a file to the T30 you'd do:

# gphoto2 --usbid "0x4102:0x1119=0x054c:0x004e" -f /store_00010001/Music/iRiver/ -u Unrockbar.ogg

(also all on one line - sorry if there's any line wrap)

So that's what I'm doing so far. Could very well be that gphoto does
more, but I didn't checked it out. The 'problem' with root access
could certainly be easily solved, but I'm lazy.

Finally, if you got a bunch of files in a directory that you want to
upload, do something like:

#!/bin/bash
for file in $(ls)
do
  echo "Now uploading $file ..."
  gphoto2 --usbid "0x4102:0x1119=0x054c:0x004e" -f /store_00010001/Music/iRiver/ -u $file done

The interface is easily scriptable.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate if you have questions.

Cheers,
Al