Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux-friendly portable music player?

From: ken dawson chia wu <dawsonwu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 00:23:06 EEST

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 05:40:01PM -0400, lanas wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:27:26 +0300
> Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hello. What would be an economical and Linux-friendly portable
> > music player?
>
> Depends what 'economical' means. I recently bought a iRiver T30 1 GB
> for some $110 USD. It can play ogg files. Works with Linux, using
> gphoto (libgphoto2). Copy voice files from it (has a recorder built-in,
> nice feature to make your boss remember things he said) and put ogg (and
> mp3) files in it. Sound is nice.
>
> With Linux I use gphoto (libgphoto2) as root to access files. Could be
> simpler I guess, but I'm lazy, so I copy/paste commands. One of these
> days I'll make a userland Perl interface.
>
> Cheers,
> Al

I recently bought a T30 1GB, with the intention of connecting it to
linux, partly in response to this thread, but am near to returning it.
My attempts to update the firmware as illustrated though a link elsewhere
in this thread resulted in v1.71 of the firmware being installed (not
v1.70 as illustrated on the linked page), and the option to switch to UMS
mode from MTP mode did not appear in this process.

So, I'm curious how your use of gphoto2 manages to access the T30. From
my reading of the gphoto2 docs, it is about USB-linked cameras pretty much
exclusively; so am I missing something? Were you able to access your T30
in MTP mode? If so, please explain how.

Thanks,

/ken