Re: [linux-audio-user] mixdown, ardour + soft synths

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 13:08:29 EEST

Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> Not sure what you mean with "in sync with my project" exactly,

Ok, let me elaborate a bit with an example then.

Say I wrote a song with sounds coming from zyn/specimen and cue
vocal/acoustic guitar coming from ardour. I generate two .wav's of my
song, one with and one without my cue vocal. I send the files to a real
singer, who imports the non-vocal-infected version in cubase, records
her vocals (one mono track) and sends the new vocal-only file to me. I
import the file in ardour and now without any tweaking the vocal should
line up (time wise) with the music "in sync".

> but
> how about recording to single tracks in Ardour and mixdown from there?

You mean recording all my soft synths into ardour and doing a mixdown there?

First it's a bit cumbersome to record the synths, and this would only
serve the purpose of the mixdown, since I really like having the synths
running along in realtime so that they can be modified at all times
during the process.

Secondly I'm actually not sure exactly how to mixdown a project to a
stereo track in ardour. Would I have to create a stereo track, connect
all tracks output to the new tracks ins, press record and let the entire
project play/record in realtime? I was hoping for an "offline" mixdown
so that I don't have to 1) connect and 2) wait for 5 mins (provided the
song is 5 mins)...

> If someone else adds a track based on your mixdown, he could sent
> the addition back, not a new mixdown.

Sure, what I meant was that the new track might consist of multiple
tracks/takes whatever. Of course music should not be included in this
mixdown, only the additional tracks. And in case of more tracks added
more files should be generated, each containing what should become one
track in ardour.

> But consider using wavpack for not having to change bit depth.

I never heard about that before, looks promising. Will try it out to see
if my windows friends can figure out how to use it. Regarding bit depth,
I'm not even sure what bit depth/sample rate they use...

How much compression can be expected with wavpack?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte