Re: [linux-audio-user] mixdown, ardour + soft synths

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 13:57:23 EEST

Atte André Jensen wrote:

> Say I wrote a song with sounds coming from zyn/specimen and cue
> vocal/acoustic guitar coming from ardour. I generate two .wav's of my
> song, one with and one without my cue vocal. I send the files to a real
> singer, who imports the non-vocal-infected version in cubase, records
> her vocals (one mono track) and sends the new vocal-only file to me. I
> import the file in ardour and now without any tweaking the vocal should
> line up (time wise) with the music "in sync".

Freeze the track then export as an individual file/track. Then the other
person just imports each one into their editor and they will be in
perfect sync. Conversely make a selection and export the selected area
for each track. AFAIK ardour does not have support for automating this
task but neither does Protools or Logic IIUC.

> Secondly I'm actually not sure exactly how to mixdown a project to a
> stereo track in ardour. Would I have to create a stereo track, connect
> all tracks output to the new tracks ins, press record and let the entire
> project play/record in realtime? I was hoping for an "offline" mixdown
> so that I don't have to 1) connect and 2) wait for 5 mins (provided the
> song is 5 mins)...

I use the master outputs into a new stereo track or just export to
stereo from the master outputs only.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.