Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 00:20:21 EEST

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 13:45 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> OK - I completely understand and completely agree. However I think the
>> 'printing in Linux' problem seems to go so far beyond the desktop
>> environment it's scary. Printing is jsut damnably hard in Linux no
>> matter how you try it. I have printers all around the house. With a
>> lot of work I can get one or two of them to be available to different
>> machines, but we run into formatting issues. The HP printer attached
>> to this AMD64 Gentoo box gives different results with the same
>> document printed from my wife's box or my son's box or even printed
>> from here.
>
> PostScript printers work perfectly. Don't blame Linux, blame the
> proliferation of Win-Printers. Some of that junk needs a 100MB Windows
> driver!

HP can be a problem even with Linux. I use the Generic Postscript driver
with my HP LJ1200 (non-WinPrinter BTW). My wife's Linux laptop uses the
HP LJ1200 Linux driver for it. I've been told that the HP driver uses HP
PCL behind the scenes, not Postscript. So you get different fonts and
different font renderings, not to mention only half the resolution ...

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden