Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 02:01:31 EEST

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 11:20:21AM -1000, david wrote:

> HP can be a problem even with Linux. I use the Generic Postscript driver
> with my HP LJ1200 (non-WinPrinter BTW). My wife's Linux laptop uses the
> HP LJ1200 Linux driver for it. I've been told that the HP driver uses HP
> PCL behind the scenes, not Postscript. So you get different fonts and
> different font renderings, not to mention only half the resolution ...

I tried using PCL directly with my Business Inkjet 1200. I could get
black and white working that way, but not color.

I also tried attaching that printer to a Sun running Solaris and
installing cups and the open source HP supplied drivers. It compiled
fine and acted like it might work, but it locked up the printer every
time. I ended up breaking down and attaching it to a Mac. Grr.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd@email-addr-hidden