Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 11:43:47 EEST

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 17:30, Rob was like:
> These choices are not only for my own convenience, but because I
> see a day in the future where I can seriously tell a pretty
> normal user, "To do anything you want on this Linux machine you
> will never need to see a command line or edit a config file."
> It's already about 90% of the way there but then one of my
> customers or my partner will ask me how to do something and I'll
> have to grumble and open up Konsole.

Yep, that's the issue for most set-ups. I find Ubuntu (gnome version) gets
pretty close to this, so I put it on most of my public machines. Can't stand
using it myself, mind you. ;)

> E16 was popular with the tweaker set and I know e17 will be as
> well.  I personally have no use for weird bitmap themes or
> partially transparent terminals or white-on-dark-brown color
> schemes or weird ornamental fonts that make me feel like I'm
> using a fake computer on the set of one of the CSI's or a
> desktop interface that consists of "right click on the desktop
> to do anything", and that's what I remember from e16.  I think
> you just have to be a little more, uh, elite than me to
> appreciate that stuff.

Dunno about elite, you just have to like and want it. Mmm, so I'll probably
try E17 when I get time. Heh. :]

--
cheers,
tim hall