Re: [linux-audio-user] Struggling with jack_convolve

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 03:03:42 EET

On Thursday 02 November 2006 23:49, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 09:23:10AM +1100, Stuart Allie wrote:
> > I've just started playing with jack_convolve and I'm having a few
> > problems. If I run the program with the default gain factor (1.0) and a
> > room-type impulse, the output is horribly clipped - it clips on even a
> > small input signal. In order to get a clean output, I have to reduce the
> > gain to something like 0.01. Is that normal/expected behaviour? It seems
> > odd that the default gain would be 1.0 if a useful value is around
> > 0.01...
>
> It depends on the energy in the IR. If it is a single strong pulse
> followed by much lower samples, then a gain of 1 should work. If the
> IR contains a lot of high amplitude samples, you will have to reduce
> the gain.
>
> You may want to have a look at JACE :
>
> http://users.skynet.be/solaris/linuxaudio

And i have to admit that i'm not sure that i got the gain thing right in
jack_convolve. So, as, contrary to me, Fons knows what he's doing, try his
JACE :) I will, too ;) I only wrote jack_convolve because it seemed faster to
do to me than understanding/using brutefir's config files (back in the days
when brutefir was the only usable convolution engine existing. And it still
has millions more features than jack_convolve) ;)

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org